The Big Four Bridge spans the Ohio River and connects Louisville, Kentucky to Jeffersonville, Indiana for pedestrians and bicyclists.
The ramp coming off of the Big Four Bridge into Historic Downtown Jeffersonville opened May 2014.
The bridge was completed in 1895, and updated in 1929. It remained closed for years until re-opening for pedestrian and bicycle traffic in May 2014. The bridge takes its name from the defunct Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway, which was nicknamed the
Big Four Railroad.
Big Four Station in Jeffersonville
The park space that people see when they come across the Big Four Pedestrian/Bicycle Bridge into Historic Downtown Jeffersonville, Indiana is called Big Four Station. Featuring lots of green space, fountains, a pavilion, and a playground, it is planned as place that people will enjoy for everyday recreation and special events. Big Four Station opened in October 2014.
The opening of the Big Four Bridge has been a boom for businesses on both sides of the Ohio River. Two cities are now connected. In financial terms, the big winners are the businesses by the Big Four Bridge. [Fox Read More …
The Big Four Bridge will soon be decked out in special computerized lighting capable of illuminating the span in patterns of dancing, colorful lighting that will be visible for miles up and down river. [Courier-Journal]